Disability Income Myth #1: “It won’t happen to me – I expect to stay healthy.”
Many consumers don’t understand the need for income protection. With my new series, Income Protection Matters, I am going to look at some of the myths surrounding this valuable coverage
You may be wondering if you or your clients really need individual disability insurance. Before you decide, know the facts.
- You are nearly four times more likely to incur a disability during your working lifetime that to die prematurely (1)
- Approximately 95% of disabilities are caused by illness rather than accidents (2)
- The top causes of disabilities include back pain, nervous system disorders and heart disease.
Think of this coverage as income or paycheck protection. If you clients become too sick or hurt to work, disability insurance benefits can work like a monthly “paycheck” to help maintain their standard of living.
Disability Income Protection Doesn’t Have to be Difficult.
BUA offers a variety of personal income and business planning solutions from top carriers for a wide range of occupations. We offer advisor product and market training programs as well as full underwriting and policy service support.
About the Author
Jim LaFleur is the Vice President of Business Underwriters Associates, Ohio’s largest Brokerage General Agency, which does business throughout the United States. He began his insurance career in 1996, after earning a degree in Psychology from Kent State University. A passionate proponent of income protection, he believes the first step in any financial plan is protecting the client’s most valuable asset – the ability to earn a living. He has helped hundreds of insurance professionals provide thousands of clients with protection solutions designed around specific needs.
(1) Social Security Administration, Actuarial Note, “A Death and Disability Life Table for Insured Workers born in 1992,” Feb. 2013
(2) Council for Disability Awareness, “Disability Facts You Should Know,” Dec. 2011