Prudential: COVID-19 Update Underwriting Procedures
Prudential is pleased to announce the PruFast Track maximum face amount will be permanently increased to $3 million. Based on thier experience over the past several months, Prudential is making a permanent change to offer accelerated decisions on cases up to and including $3 million. The probability of receiving an accelerated decision (no exam/lab/medical records) is higher at the younger ages and lower face amounts. Cases over $1 million and up to $3 million will be less likely to receive an accelerated decision; however, Prudential will utilize EHRs and APSs in some cases in place of the exam/labs.
PruFast Track cases requiring full underwriting will now require a paramed exam and labs. The temporary pandemic measures utilizing an EHR/APS in place of an exam/labs will be discontinued.
Ages Over 60: Per the initial guidance on April 3, any case rated Table D and higher at ages 65 and above will be postponed. At ages over 60, this same guidance may apply, and Prudential will pay special attention to a history of ratable coronary artery disease and immunodeficiency disorders. The underwriter will look for good follow-up with the client’s personal physician, as well as excellent control of the respective medical condition (cases may be postponed if either of these requirements are not present).
Like other businesses, Prudential has been actively monitoring the rapidly changing environment due to the impact of the COVID‐19 pandemic. Given social distancing, office closures, and restricted access to medical personnel, today, Prudential is announcing some changes to the underwriting procedures to ensure your safety and the safety of our communities, and so clients continue to have access to the coverage they need.
Among the changes being implemented, Prudential is:
- Extending the threshold of face amounts for new life insurance policy applications submitted via PruFast Track from $1 million to $3 million. PruFast Track is a predictive underwriting model that uses data and artificial intelligence to underwrite insurance policies.
- Discontinuing the need for medical exams/labs, where possible, for new life insurance policies with face amounts of less than or equal to $3M for individuals 60 years of age and under.
- While we understand that historically, some of our distribution partners have preferred to order medical exams, given the challenging environment of COVID‐19, Prudential has made the decision to take on the responsibility for ordering medical requirements in all cases and only if needed. Using sources such as electronic health records, we will determine whether an exam is required. We are also in the process of expanding the use of electronic medical records (Human API) along with other methods to drive fast decisions with minimal requirements.
- Please note that cases will NOT be eligible for PruFast Track if medical requirements are submitted with the application or indicated to have been ordered.
- What can I do to ensure clients receive the best possible underwriting offer?
- A. Use PruFast Track as the primary way to achieve a faster underwriting outcome.
- Making adjustments to a few underwriting guidelines to ensure a prudent financial approach, in an effort to continue to deliver for our customers. These updates include:
- Temporarily restricting new applications at age 80 and over—we will no longer accept any application at age 80 and over until further notice, effective April 6, 2020.
- Postponing any applications at ages 65 and over with a rating class of Table D or higher.
- Postponing any rated case in which the client presents a chronic respiratory condition.
- Postponing any proposed insured who has tested positive for COVID‐19 for 30 days with full recovery.
- Allowing extensions of 30 days to Further Information Unobtainable (FIU) dates and placement periods on Cash on Delivery (COD) business.
- Implementing a full end‐to‐end process to electronically deliver policies from application submission to policy placement. While traditional, paper policies will continue to be available upon request, Prudential's goal is to shift processes to a more seamless, technology‐enabled experience
Providing protection and peace of mind to customers is Prudential's ultimate goal. Even amid challenging market conditions, Prudential remains strong and ready to serve and support you.
Please give BUA a call at 1-800-792-6795 with any questions regarding Prudential's updates.